Sunday, March 6, 2022

Surgery

I got to the hospital shortly before 8:45 a.m. on Thursday. After checking in, I was taken back to pre-op where I changed into a gown. They put these things around my both legs so that during surgery they would massage my legs to help prevent blood clots. A nurse (Nurse A) came in and started asking me questions. She mentioned back surgery. I corrected her and said that I was having neck surgery. After having received pre-op paperwork in the mail with the lumbar spine highlighted (instead of cervical spine), you can understand my need to correct her. Another nurse (Nurse B) came in to start my IV. She asked Nurse A what procedure I was having and if it was an ACDF (Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion). Jokingly, I said, "I'm going to need you guys to figure out what I am having done today." Nurse B apologized for throwing around medical terms. I said "Oh, I know what ACDF stands for." They both kind of laughed, and Nurse A told Nurse B that I had showed her my pre-op paperwork where the lumbar spine was highlighted. 

While Nurse B was getting my IV set up, the Anesthesiologist came in. He had quite a few questions about my medical history. He explained that once I was put under, he would insert a breathing tube. He explained that he ensures when I wake up, I am not nauseous. He said he's in the surgery room with me the whole time. He was really nice. I liked him. 

Nurse A stopped the Anesthesiologist on his way out and they got to talking. She was asking him questions about his degree and whether she should call him doctor. I recall her asking him something about either his degree or program he was in being grandfathered. They talked for quite a while. I tried to ask Nurse A if she would get my mom, but she couldn't hear me. The nurses sitting out at the nurses station were so loud from the moment I got there. Just non-stop chatter and not work chatter. Finally, Nurse A heard me and she went and got my mom. My mom hung out for a bit and then my dad came back. 

I am not sure if this lady was a nurse or not, but she came into my room and was playing with the machine that connects to my IV. She was talking about how it didn't work. She was really ditzy. She unhooked the machine from the pole and took it out to the nurses station. She came back and was saying it was working. She never talked to me, she was talking to the other nurses at the station. Shortly after that another lady came in and took the machine off the pole again. She exchanged it with a new one. As she walked out, the ditzy girl told her she had already looked at it and fixed it. The woman who had just replaced it said it wasn't on and she didn't know it was already looked at. Apparently, ditzy girl, didn't tell anyone nor did she turn the machine on. 

At this point, I had texted both of my sisters telling them this hospital was a mess and definitely not a well-oiled machine like another hospital in my city. At one point all of the nurses at the nurses station were going on and on about lunch. My dad not knowing I had already texted my sisters about the chatter says, "You wouldn't be hearing any of this at [insert other hospital's name]." 

My doctor had been at another hospital in the morning and was running late. Since the curtain to my room was only half shut, I could hear and see the nurses out in the hallway. I heard whispers saying "he's here." "Shh." And, walks in my doctor. Suddenly the nurses station got real quiet. I couldn't believe it. 

Doctor came in and asked me a few questions. He marked on my neck and then said he likes to pray with his patients. He said a prayer as his hand was on my shoulder. I really liked that he did that. 

I was wheeled back to the surgery room. It's a big room that is as white as snow and to be honest as cold as being out in the snow. They wheeled me up next to another bed. In my mind they were going to pick me up by the sheets and move me like you see on TV. Nope. They put warm blankets on me and started sticking stuff to my back. I remember telling one of the nurses that I could never do what they do. They told me to lay down and the next thing I remember is waking up in recovery. I know the one nurse said something about giving me something to ease my nerves. Didn't realize that was going to instantly knock me out. 

I woke up in recovery and recall the nurse talking to me and trying to get me to roll over so she could do something. I told her I couldn't and she said yes, you can. 

I was wheeled back to my room and the nurse rambled off a bunch of drinks and snacks I could have. I asked for coffee and Chips Ahoy cookies. 

My mom came back and said it had taken forever. I think it was around 3:00 when she came back. I would guess over three hours my parents waited. 

After I had my coffee and snack, I was wheeled back to get x-rays. While waiting for my doctor to review them, I was told I needed different x-rays for the trial. They drape something over your neck and put markers on the board you stand in front of during the x-rays. After the second set of x-rays, my doctor came in and I asked him if I was in the study and he said, yes. That's great news! 

I left the hospital around 5:30. My parents got me home and situated. I took my prescriptions and laid down in bed. I wasn't allowed to take my normal medication to help me sleep because it could interact with the anesthesia. Between that and just not being able to get comfortable, I think I slept maybe an hour Thursday night. 

I was sent home with a drain tube coming from my neck. I was allowed to take it out the next day as long as the drainage stayed below a certain amount. I woke up Thursday night around 2:00 and saw that the tube itself looked backed up. I tried to get it to drain down into the ball but it wouldn't. I woke my dad up to make sure it was OK. While he was looking at it, I was watching the blood move around and got extremely nauseous. I sat down on the toilet and then threw up in the trash can. 

I finally gave up on sleeping around 5:00 a.m. Friday morning. I came out to the living room and watched TV.

Here's a few pictures from the hospital. I'll write more later on how I have been doing. 

Nurse B wrapped the shit out of my IV.
Kudos to whoever drew the Smurfs. My favorite cartoon as a kid.
Post-Surgery


No comments: