Monday, March 7, 2022

Post-Op Days 1 - 4

I did not know what to expect with a disc replacement. I did my research on the two possible discs I would be receiving. I wasn't really interested in reading testimonials simply because everyone is different. I see that at work everyday with the medical records I read. 

When I woke up from surgery, I had zero pain. One might say that's because of the good drugs. While I do not disagree, I have yet to have any pain. I do have discomfort where my incision is and stiffness in my shoulders and neck. 

For the first couple of days after surgery (Friday & Saturday), I was extremely restless. I think it was because of the anesthesia. I couldn't sit still. You would have thought I would have been exhausted not sleeping at all Thursday night, but I wasn't.

The doctor advised that I could take the drain tube out on Friday so long as the drainage was not above a certain level. I didn't have any pain with the drain tube. I couldn't even feel it in my skin. I was more so bothered by it dangling down between my chest and all of the tape on my neck. I was insistent that one of my sisters remove the tube. One of them came over on Friday. She started removing all of the tape. In my mind, this tube was right at the top of my skin. Thank God, I didn't know any better until after it was over. My sister put one hand on the skin and the other on the tube and told me to take a deep breath. As I let it out the deep breath, she pulled the tube out. 

As soon as she started pulling, I could feel it coming out. It was roughly 3-4inches down into my skin. I couldn't believe it. I definitely started tearing up. To be honest, that's been the worst part of all of this. 

Here's the drain tube with the ball at the end. It never got very full.

This white plastic piece is what was down in my skin.

Friday night I got a good night sleep. I think I woke up once to roll over. I have been sleeping with four pillows stacked up and a pillow on each side of me.

Saturday, I felt sore all over. I felt achy like when you have the flu. I took two naps on Saturday. I was still restless. 

Sunday, I was able to shower. I was definitely sore after that. I asked my mom to come pick me up and get me out of the house. We went to Target. My soreness did get worse from looking around and just being up and around. I was ready to come home. I took a muscle relaxer and then a nap. 

Sunday and now today, the numbness and tingling has been really bad in my arms and neck. I am trying to not think too much into it, but it's hard not to wonder if I'll get the relief we all hoped for. 

I follow-up with the doctor on Friday so we'll see what he has to say. 

No comments: