Saturday, February 26, 2022

A little of this and a whole lot of that

Five days. That's how many until my surgery. When my surgery was scheduled a month ago (canceled due to snow), I didn't feel any type of way about it. I was more so looking forward to it. Now, for whatever reason, I am freaking out. I felt more prepared a month ago at work. 

Work is a tornado just waiting to touch down before we can start to clean up. We hired a girl who lasted seven days. Now we have another girl leaving who does the same thing I do. She has been there for years too. It's a lot for the rest of us. As the saying goes, "it is what it is." I can't push my surgery out just because it's not a good time. It's never going to be a good time. 

When COVID hit, so many employers made it possible for their employees to work from home. As it turns out, a lot of employers/employees found they could just as easily work from home. When it was time to return to the office, employees fought to continue to work from home. It saved on gas and for some, hours of commuting. For some, it helped with anxiety and depression. For others, it made their anxiety and depression worse. You see a lot of employers now advertising with options to work remotely.

At my job, we worked from home for two months. Being the homebody I am, I thought this would be a dream come true. Turns out, it wasn't. Being alone more than what I already am was not a good thing for me. It became so easy to stay home in solitude that when I did go out, it was extremely overwhelming.

I am going somewhere with this...I promise. 

The job market is terrible right now where I live and, perhaps, all over. The responses we are getting from our job ads are horrendous. It's a combination of people just applying for any job so they can report it to unemployment; and, people who just need any job they can find. I have looked at resumes to help in the hiring process. Most of the resumes I have seen, I don't even get past the introduction. Mainly because the resumes are too busy or, despite the qualifications required in our ads, I am not seeing anyone who can fulfill those qualifications. The next hurdle is getting someone who dresses appropriately for an interview. One interviewee we had, showed up in leggings, tennis shoes, and I believe a zip-up hoodie. Her hair didn't appear to have been brushed and it was hot pink. 

I am definitely old school when it comes to showing up for an interview. I want to see a folder with extra copies of your resume and references. I want to see appropriate attire and manners. I have eight piercings in my ears and an almost completed tattoo sleeve. Most of the people I work with have tattoos and some have their nose pierced. When you are trying to get a job in a professional office, present yourself accordingly.

We had a meeting on Friday at work and it was discussed that some changes could be made in the future. i.e. the option to work from home (not just during a pandemic). It is also my understanding there have been negotiations in order to keep employees. So, I ask this. Where do employers draw that fine line? As I mentioned, the job market is terrible and is evident by the resumes I have seen. Do you accommodate your employees in order to keep them? If so, how far do you go? Or, do you continue business as usual and lose those employees? For instance, I had a discussion with a co-worker last week about the benefits we are provided. A single co-worker, such as myself, with no dependents, has free health insurance. You get two weeks of vacation until you've worked five calendar years and then you move to three weeks. We can make up time if we're going to a doctors appointment, etc. so that we do not have to use our vacation. We get major holidays off. Bonuses are not promised, but typically happen at the end of the year. There is no 401K. My argument was that if you are not happy with the benefits we do have, then leave. His argument is that the times are changing and other employers are advertising benefits we do not have. If they want to keep us, they will need to make some changes. 

I see both sides of the argument. I just am more of the mindset that if I am taking care of myself with the benefits given to me and I am happy, who cares what others are getting? If there comes a time when that all changes, I will look elsewhere. I understand negotiating pay and time off work. I don't understand the rest. 

Curious what others think of this, especially employers. 

When it comes to any type of relationship (friendship or romantic), is it reasonable to expect, want, or need reassurance? I've been thinking about this a lot lately. When I look at the words, expect, want, or need, I think I answered my own question. I don't expect or want reassurance from any relationship in my life. I only need it when the relationship is giving me doubt. Never mind. I answered my own question. 

No comments: