Sunday, February 20, 2022

Three Day Weekend

Typically, my work does not close on President's Day but with all of the changes we have had, the boss decided to give us the day off. I knew I couldn't sit at home for three days and with it being winter, there are slim pickings. A one-day road trip sounded like a good idea. My first choices are always going to be Chicago or Michigan. I didn't want to drive the three hours to Chicago and spend an ungodly amount for parking. I thought about going to the outlet mall in Michigan City and taking a detour to St. Joe Michigan to eat at my favorite brewery. Simplicity was what I was looking for. I wanted to be back in time to watch the NBA All-Star activities too. I decided to go to Indianapolis and walk around the mall and go to some stores we don't have here. 

Saturday, I got up and just putzed around the house. I figured I'd leave around 11:30. From the time I woke up until I left, I had an internal argument going on in my head about whether I should go. I do this every time I plan on going out of town by myself. Even the Saturdays when I am going to the beach which is literally my favorite place. It starts with, "Just stay home. You don't need to go anywhere." "What if I get into a car accident?" "I should probably invite someone to go with me." (i.e. mom, nieces, sister) "I should probably tell my parents I am going." "No, they'll see it on Find Friends and just text me and ask me what I am doing." (Or, in this instance, your sister will text you.) "I need to make sure I am back at a good time." (Um, why?) "Your anxiety can't handle this." "Ok. I showered. That's a start." "Your hair and makeup are done so we're doing this." 

Shit is exhausting. 

I will say that 20 years ago I would have never thought about going on a road trip by myself. Mainly, because there was a 50/50 chance the MapQuest directions that you printed would get you to where you wanted to go. I am extremely grateful for being able to take these roadtrips in a reliable car and for navigation. 

I grabbed some snacks, made coffee, and turned on some Biggie and Tupac and headed to Indianapolis. I walked around the Castleton mall and then stopped at Nordstrom Rack which I had never been to. I thought about going into The Container Store but I figured that could be dangerous for me. It's a dream store for anyone who likes to organize. I thought about coming home until I realized The Fashion Mall was just down the street. It has a Saks which I had never been to. I had this perception that when I walked into Saks, I would be Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman walking into stores on Rodeo Drive. I was wrong. The store was kind of dirty and did not have a lot of merchandise. The smell of weed when I walked in was so overpowering. Do people know they smell? I always wonder. The entrance I went into had shoes and designer bags. I will admit that seeing the Gucci, Chloe, and Saint Laurent bags was pretty cool. I walked over to the shoes and saw the wall with the Louboutin shoes. I have never seen a pair in person. In my mind, an alarm was going to go off when I got close to them. I imagined one of the sales associates coming up to me and telling me not to touch them. These shoes are famously known as "red bottoms" and typically start around $650. And, yes, I want a pair (size 7.5 wink wink). 

I walked through a few other stores in The Fashion Mall but quickly had an overwhelming feeling to get back to my car. There were a lot of people, not a lot of stores, and nothing that peeked my interest. I might have liked walking through Crate and Barrel or Pottery Barn, but I was getting tired and my anxiety was running the show. I was down there for about 4-4.5 hours. I wasn't really looking for anything in particular and I didn't buy anything. It was just more so going into stores that we don't have here.

I have never been a fan of Indianapolis. It doesn't bring me joy like Chicago and Michigan. Indianapolis to me is where Joey had his transplant and where he passed away. I definitely did my fair share of clubbing with college girlfriends in Broadripple. Those nights typically turned into my babysitting my friends and being DD. I won't say we didn't have fun. We did. But I have happier memories of clubbing in Fort Wayne. I can drive through the city of Chicago and not get lost. If I drive through Indianapolis to get downtown, I always get lost (even with navigation). The traffic is horrendous too. 

I'll take the day as a win for getting out of the house alone and going somewhere out of my comfort zone. 

My surgery is 10-days away. For whatever reason, I feel nervous this time. Before it was canceled due to the snow, I didn't really feel anyway about it. I am ready to get the feeling back into my arms and not hurt. 

No comments: