Friday, January 21, 2022

Pre-Surgery

When I decided it was time to proceed with a cervical disc replacement, I was given the option to be in a study. The study is for an artificial cervical disc replacement that is not yet approved by the FDA. It has been used in England for ten years. I will not know if I am in the study until my first follow-up appointment. It's randomized who gets put into the study but I am told I have a 60% chance. The study will last for seven years. I will have yearly follow-up appointments. I will get paid for my time, mileage, and expense of the follow-up appointments. 

I got a call from the coordinator and scheduled an appointment. I had to get new x-rays. I answered questions about my pain and how it effects my life. 

Now that surgery is scheduled for February 3rd, I had to do pre-surgery labs. The nurse who did my labs was so nice and a pro at drawing blood. She went over a few items with me including taking a shower the night before and having to use these wipes afterwards that helps with bacteria. She said that should I have a fever above 99, I should call the doctor or if I see anything odd coming from my incision to call the doctor. That seems to be pretty standard for any surgery. The nurse said that my doctor had ordered me to take home a lunger exerciser device. If you have never seen one, you breathe into a tube to see how far up you can push the ball. She wasn't sure why he was having me take one home, but nonetheless, she gave it to me. She asked me if I had ever seen one before and I said yes. She asked me if I knew how to use it and I said yes. I explained that my best friend had Cystic Fibrosis and he had to use one all of the time. Seeing this device was awfully triggering. I just put it out of my mind and moved on. 

I got home from work that evening and brought the reusable bag in the nurse had given me with everything inside. I hung the bag from the kitchen table chair but not before I made sure the device was at the bottom and covered up. I could not bare to see that sitting around like I used to see it sitting around Joey's house or seeing it at the hospital.

Now I wait until February 3rd. Stay tuned. 

No comments: